Member-owners gathered at Roanoke Electric Cooperative’s headquarter office on Thursday, April 20, to try its high-speed internet network offered through its Roanoke Connect Phase II project.
Roanoke WIFI Thermostat
Roanoke Electric is selling Ecobee3 Wi-Fi-enabled thermostats to its member-owners at a discounted price. These devices have the potential to provide both energy efficiency and wholesale power cost savings that the cooperative could pass on to member-owners. The devices also offer member-owners an easy and convenient way of managing comfort and the power bill.
Member-owners must have Wi-Fi connection.
Ecobee Wi-Fi Thermostat
Our offer to you:
Your cooperative will adjust your thermostat to reduce usage during peak periods.
Adjustments may happen up to 8 times per month during the winter/summer months when peak usage is highest.
Thermostats will cost:
That’s 60-80 percent off the retail rate of $250.
The ecobee3 is a new "smart" thermostat that allows you to:
- Control your thermostat from your smartphone or computer.
- Understand your energy consumption in real time.
- Improve the efficiency of your home.
- Its roots are like those of a programmable thermostat, but its design is sleek and modern, and it functions intuitively and all on a touch screen, like your smartphone or tablet.
First, we are committed to helping you find ways to save energy and money, and we think this thermostat will do both of those things. Energystar.gov estimates that homes with programmable thermostats can save up to $180/year in heating and cooling costs, but the thermostats have to be programmed correctly. The technology behind the smart ecobee3 thermostat makes programming and controlling your thermostat easy and, well... kind of fun!
Second, after installation is complete, your ecobee3 will receive signals from Roanoke EC during times when the demand for electricity is greatest and therefore most expensive. In the summer, this usually happens a few times a month in the late afternoon when temperatures and humidity are high.
Our signals, which will be accompanied by a message to your thermostat and an e-mail, will raise in the summer and lower in the winter the temperature of your thermostat by a few degrees, but never to a level that is uncomfortable. And you always have the option to override the signal and continue operating your ecobee3 at your desired temperature.
By lowering energy use throughout our system during times of peak demand, we are able to lower our power costs. Because electric cooperatives are not-for-profit, those savings are passed on to you.
- Roanoke EC is committed to protecting our members' security and personal information.
- As advances in technology change the way people manage their energy consumption, we are working with partners that allow us to offer new tools to help members better understand and manage energy use.
- In selecting these vendors, we vet security practices and chose partners who, like us, are committed to protecting consumers' privacy and information.
- Ecobee has multiple security best-practices in place to protect data. These include:
- Thermostats are built to support recognized security standards (WEP, WPA and WPA2 security) for connecting to Wi-Fi networks.
- ecobee products and services use an SSL connection to ensure the highest level of security, a connection that is commonly utilized by banks, government agencies and e-commerce sites to ensure privacy and the protection of personal information.
- No account or billing information is transferred by ecobee thermostats.
- Data transmitted is limited to just thermostat information (set points, indoor/outdoor temp, etc.) that is necessary to control interior temperature.
- All data transmitted to and from the device is encrypted and authenticated at both ends of the connection.
- Ecobee web portal requires password of eight characters and features a 15-minute time-out, as well as an account lock after five failed attempts.
- Ecobee has physical security in place to protect hosting facilities.
News and Events
Find out how you can save big on your electric bill each month in the May issue fo the Roanoke Flashes!
May is a month to enjoy the flowers, soak up sunshine and cross those final tasks off your spring-cleaning checklist. Some of those jobs might require skills and equipment you don’t often use, so it’s a good time brush up on electrical safety, especially considering it’s National Electrical Safety Month!