Member-owners gathered at Roanoke Electric Cooperative’s headquarter office on Thursday, April 20, to try its high-speed internet network offered through its Roanoke Connect Phase II project.
Bright Ideas Grant Program
2015 Bright Ideas Grant Recipients
- Mrs. Adrienne Beasley, TS Cooper Elementary, Sunbury, NC; $1,600 for "Get your Groove On!"
- Mr. Gregory Watford, Hertford County High School, Ahoskie, NC; $1,600 for "I Spy Rasberry Pi: Building Computers and Creating Digital Stories from Scratch"
- Ms. Megan Lewis, Gaston Elementary, Gaston, NC; $1,600 for "Read for Fun, Read for Life"
- Mrs. Susan Parker, Buckland Elementary, Gates, NC; $1,600 for "Ag a'la Cart"
- Mrs. Teri Campbell, Gates County High School, Gatesville, NC; $1,600 for "Wet, Wild, Wonderful Water:Fostering Citizen Scientists through Water Monitoring of the Chowan River"
Roanoke Electric Cooperative has awarded more than 70 Bright Ideas Grants since 1994 totaling more than $60,000.00. Across the state Bright Ideas have shown to improve classroom instruction and encouraged innovative teaching techniques benefiting over 500,000 students.
The funds go to North Carolina teachers and principals serving grades K-12. They are awarded for projects in any discipline as long as they use creative teaching techniques to improve instruction. Projects are eligible for grants of up to $2,000.
Since the inception of this program Roanoke Electric Cooperative and the North Carolina Electric Cooperatives have presented over $1.5 million to Tar Heel educators. The statewide Bright Ideas Grant Program was launched in October 1994 by North Carolina's electric cooperatives and the Carolina Electric Cooperatives network, and has been very instrumental in assisting teachers and principals with programs that they cannot fund through traditional school financing.
The judges that are selected to review the applications are located throughout the cooperative's service area, and include educators and community leaders.
To learn more go to www.ncbrightideas.com.
ONLY ON-LINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR 2016.
For more information about the grant program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 252-209-2236 or 1-800-433-2236, ext. 278.
News and Events
Find out how you can save big on your electric bill each month in the May issue fo the Roanoke Flashes!
May is a month to enjoy the flowers, soak up sunshine and cross those final tasks off your spring-cleaning checklist. Some of those jobs might require skills and equipment you don’t often use, so it’s a good time brush up on electrical safety, especially considering it’s National Electrical Safety Month!